Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The wonderful duty of delight

Are you familiar with the 1 Thess. 5:16-18 where it says,
"Be joyful always; 17pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

So often I remember to do the praying and the giving thanks.

I'll be stuck in a situation, about to cop a bad attitude, and the Lord washes me with conviction and I will verbally say,
"gosh, I am so thankful for this."

But where is my heart?

Am I truly thankful?

Outward change is EASY.

I am SO good at going through the motions.

I can pretend ALL day.

But the Lord wants more than that!

He says, "out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks."

AND.

Philippians 4: Rejoice, in the Lord. I will say it AGAIN! Rejoice!!

So what he really wants to change is our hearts.

Hmm.

What attitudes and thoughts do I have that would keep me from being really thankful for this, and that my whole life would shout:

I am SUPER-Duper thankful!

What is keeping us from that?

This is the question we should ask ourselves.

So, I am here to say, that I have the 'be thankful' down, but I don't know if I am really thankful.

I have examined my life and questioned the Lord as to what is wrong with me?!?

I know I'm saved. Check.

And you know what He said?

Rejoice.

Enjoy me.

De-light!

Love me.

Adore me.

Put all things below me.

So, I asked myself, do I really do those things?

Am I enjoying the Lord?

Do I truly love His Word?

And if I love Him I will WANT to hang out with Him in my free time.

I will want to read the Word as soon as I get a spare second.

The mention of His name will bring a smile to my face.

I used to get all giddy when someone would mention a boy that I liked.

But the Lord is worth so much more than that.

So, I challenge you today.

Are you thankful because its a command, or becuase of the AMAZING things that the Lord has done in your life.

Becuase He has done them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Hey Bekka, it's Kathryn.

Could you find out what dessert Sydni wants. Do you have the number?
Also let her know that I have a brown sweater for her outfit. I will bring it to the hairdressers.
See you tomorrow!!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger steph-a-ronie said...

Bekah-
Hi :) My name is Stephanie Jeter. I'm looking to join a group for Heather's night out.

I'm 24 and single... recently moved back to College Station and don't know many folks around here anymore. I noticed you had two married friends that wanted to attend.

If you need a younger woman for a second group, I think I can find one!

Shoot me an e-mail: sljeter@gmail.com.

Thanks!!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home